Friday, January 9, 2009

Marketing your writing in virtual worlds

When I announced to some of my friends and colleagues in Second Life that I had written a novel, I was surprised to receive several offers to talk about the book at different reader's groups and events. Although I am involved with the AVL (Alliance Virtual Library) in Second Life and am a librarian myself, I didn't realize how many opportunities there were to promote books in a virtual world.

So far, I have spoken at the Reader's Garden on Cybrary City focusing on the virtual theme in my book which is a romance but includes a virtual world (not SL, but a fictional one very much like it), and Sonja Morgwain the Estate Manager there has also kindly asked me to do a talk for her real life library through SL. The Reader's Garden speech was also recorded as a vodcast and appears on YouTube as well as in the January issue of RezLibris, the magazine for Second Life librarians.

Next, was my book talk for my own group at Rainbow Garden's Pet Memorial Center on Cybrary City II where I focused on the pet loss theme in my book. I was very touched to "see" some avatars crying afterwards and have to admit that tears came to my eyes as well during some of the exerpts I read which were fictionalized scenes based on true experiences with my cat, Floppy, who I lost a year ago and who provided the inspiration for the book, as well as for Rainbow Gardens.

Coming up on my virtual book tour, as a change of pace from a book talk, is my discussion of publishing at a library buzz session on Info Island this coming Tuesday, January 13. At this event, I will provide information regarding the differences between traditional publishing and self publishing through POD (print-on-demand) publishers, the route that I took when publishing "Cloudy Rainbow." I will explain the pros and cons of both publishing methods and then answer questions from the audience.

On February 8, I will present another book talk for the romance month slot of activities lined up by the AVL. For this talk, I will concentrate on the romance in my book. Then, on February 16, I will appear at a Poet's Brain storytelling session and am thinking about covering some of the paranormal elements from my book which include a clairvoyant as well as a virtual seance.

My calendar will continue to fill in the spring, and I am considering moving my book talks off the Info Archipelago and maybe catch a stint at Book and Publishing Island or elsewhere in Second Life. Also, I will do a real life book talk at my own public library in April .

I am really surprised and pleased to know that book talks are so popular in virtual worlds.

No comments: